Home >> Emergency Preparedness
Updated Jun. 2012
Plain Language Flyers and PSAs Are Critical Tools in Emergency Response Efforts
In an emergency, government agencies and community partners need to respond with speed and care. Experts report that low-literacy print materials and Public Service Announcements (PSAs) play a key role in emergency response efforts.
PSAs that are tailored to meet the needs of at-risk populations are even more effective at reaching a greater number of people, including:
- People with limited education and low-literacy skills,
- People from diverse cultures, and
- Limited-English speakers and non-English speakers.
The PSAs that work best are:
- Clear and easy to understand,
- Written in plain language, suitable for a wide range of literacy levels,
- Culturally competent and presented with native voice talent from a trusted source, and
- Easy to localize by inserting appropriate contact information.
Transcend has a long history of conveying important culturally competent, low-literacy messages. Transcend has translated CDC documents into 30 languages (and plain language) for over 20 years. Please contact us for more information.